Fork, luncheon

Object

Accession Number
2017.007.002.001.005
Description
Sterling silver luncheon fork with cast acanthus boarder, monogrammed "A" on the handle. Marked "sterling" on the back.
Narrative
This circa 1900 English sterling silver luncheon fork is part of a larger set of matching flatware donated to Craigdarroch Castle by a great great grandson of Robert and Joan Dunsmuir. Its connection to Guy Mortimer Audain and Sarah Byrd Dunsmuir (Mrs. Guy Audain) and their descendants makes it a significant addition to the collection that aids in presenting the Dunsmuir story and Craigdarroch’s period interiors.
History of Use
This luncheon fork belonged to the donor's grandfather, Guy Mortimer Audain (1864-1940) and grandmother, Sarah Byrd Dunsmuir (1878-1925) (Mrs. Guy Audain). Sarah was the eldest daughter of Hon. James and Laura Dunsmuir, and granddaughter of Joan Dunsmuir of Craigdarroch. It was probably acquired by Mr. and Mrs. Audain when new around the time of their 1901 wedding. Guy Audain became Aide-de-Camp to Lieutenant Governor James Dunsmuir in 1906 at which point the Audains used this and other silverware at the James and Laura Dunsmuir house named Burleith from 1906 to 1910, and then at their own house named Ellora, which still stands at 555 Foul Bay Road in Victoria.
Date
circa 1900
Dimensions
3 cm x 3 cm x 21.5 cm
Material
Metal, silver, sterling

Related people/businesses/organizations
Guy Mortimer Audain (owner)
Sarah Byrd Dunsmuir (owner)
Related Associations
Burleith (was used in)
Ellora (house) (was used in)