teakettle

Object

Accession Number
2017.014.001a-c
Description
Silver-plated kettle on stand. The base and belly of the kettle (a) is decorated with fluting leading up to an undecorated shoulder and flange. Curved handle at the top of the kettle has an ebony band. Hinged lid with fluting and an ebony knob. The base of the kettle sits on (b) a four-legged stand. The legs have a floral half wreath decoration at the tops and lion paw feet. Pins on chain attached to the stand lock the kettle in place. The back pin can be removed to allow the kettle to be poured while still on the base. A removable oil burner is suspended from the stand by curving wires. The bottom of the kettle is marked for J.B. Chatterly & Sons, Ltd. of Birmingham, England.
Narrative
 This elegant kettle exhibits an unusual synthesis of Queen Anne, art nouveau, and neo-classical design elements. The quality of the tooling and plating is excellent. Given its history of use, the chances are high that it was acquired to be used with the tea & coffee service that the Brydens had previously acquired (see 2007.002).
History of Use
This kettle was owned and used by Dunsmuir descendant John William Bryden (1869-1953) and his wife Ellen Gertrude Tarbell (1882-1964) at their Oak Bay B.C. residence at 899 Transit Road, and subsequently at their waterfront house in Royston, Vancouver Island (near Cumberland and Courtenay). It was then inherited by their son Gerald Robert Bryden (1913-1992) of Royston and then by his daughter in Campbell River, from whom it was acquired by The Castle Society.
Date
1900 – 1925
Dimensions
36.5 x 10 x 22 cm
Material
Metal, silver; Wood, ebony
Technique
Plated
Country of Origin
United Kingdom

Related people/businesses/organizations
J.B. Chatterly & Sons, Ltd. (manufacturer)
John William Bryden (owner)