teaspoon

Object

Accession Number
2017.007.003.002.003
Description
Sterling silver teaspoon with a crest of a lion rampant on the handle. Top and underside of the handle are bordered with a dot and flower pattern. Hallmarked on the underside of the handle.
Narrative
This 1851 English sterling silver teaspoon is one of six identical teaspoons donated to Craigdarroch Castle by a great great grandson of Robert and Joan Dunsmuir. Its connection to Guy Mortimer Audain and Sarah Byrd Dunsmuir (Mrs. Guy Audain) and their descendants makes it a significant addition to the collection that aids in presenting the Dunsmuir story and Craigdarroch’s period interiors.
History of Use
This teaspoon belonged to the donor's grandfather, Guy Mortimer Audain (1864-1940) and grandmother, Sarah Byrd Dunsmuir (1878-1925) (Mrs. Guy Audain). Sarah was the eldest daughter of Hon. James and Laura Dunsmuir, and granddaughter of Joan Dunsmuir of Craigdarroch. It was probably acquired when new by one of Guy Audain’s Anglo-Irish ancestors and used in Ireland until the early 20th Century when Guy Audain became Aide-de-Camp to Lieutenant Governor James Dunsmuir in 1906. The Audains used this and other silverware at the James and Laura Dunsmuir house named Burleith from 1906 to 1910, house named Ellora, which still stands at 555 Foul Bay Road in Victoria.
 
Date
1851
Dimensions
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm x 15 cm
Material
Metal, silver, sterling
Manufacturer
Chawner & Co.
Country of Origin
United Kingdom

Related people/businesses/organizations
Guy Mortimer Audain (owner)
Sarah Byrd Dunsmuir (owner)
Chawner & Co. (manufacturer)
Related Associations
Burleith (was used in)
Ellora (house) (was used in)