teaspoon
teaspoon
teaspoon
teaspoon

teaspoon

Object

Accession Number
2017.007.001.003.011
Description
Sterling silver teaspoon with a crest of a bent arm in armor holding a dagger on the handle. Hallmarked with manufacturer's marks and the date mark "Y" for 1819 on the back.
Narrative
This early 19th century Irish sterling silver teaspoon is part of a larger set of early 19th Century Irish cutlery donated to Craigdarroch Castle by a great great grandson of Robert and Joan Dunsmuir. The set is of very high quality and amongst the oldest objects in the Craigdarroch Castle Collection. Its connection to Guy Mortimer Audain and Sarah Byrd Dunsmuir (Mrs. Guy Audain) and their descendants makes it a significant addition to the collection that will aid in presenting the Dunsmuir story and Craigdarroch’s period interiors.

 
History of Use
This early 19th century Irish sterling silver teaspoon belonged to the donor's grandfather, Guy Mortimer Audain (1864-1940) and grandmother, Sarah Byrd Dunsmuir (1878-1925) (Mrs. Guy Audain). Sarah was the eldest daughter of Hon. James and Laura Dunsmuir and granddaughter of Joan Dunsmuir of Craigdarroch. It was probably acquired when new by one of Guy Audain’s Anglo-Irish ancestors and used in Ireland until the early 20th Century when Guy Audain became Aide-de-Camp to Lieutenant Governor James Dunsmuir in 1906. The Audains used this and other silverware at the James and Laura Dunsmuir house named Burleith from 1906 to 1910, and then at their own house named Ellora, which still stands at 555 Foul Bay Road in Victoria.
 
Date
1819
Dimensions
1.5 cm x 3 cm x 15 cm
Material
Metal, silver, sterling
Country of Origin
Ireland

Related people/businesses/organizations
Guy Mortimer Audain (owner)
Sarah Byrd Dunsmuir (owner)
Richard Garde, Carden Terry & Jane Williams (manufacturer)
Related Associations
Burleith (was used in)
Ellora (house) (was used in)