fork, fish

Object

Accession Number
2017.001.002.001.001
Description
Silver fish fork with incised leaf design on the fork body. A silver repoussé floral ferrule connects the fork to a mother-of-pearl handle. The ferrule is hallmarked with 'J.Y', a crown, a lion, a 'D' indicating Yates Bros, Sheffield, 1903.
Narrative

This fish set with matching servers was first owned and used by Dunsmuir descendant John William Bryden (1869-1953) and his wife Ellen Gertrude Tarbell (1882-1964) and was passed down through the family until it was acquired by The Castle Society. The set was probably in a fabric-lined wooden case when first acquired by the Brydens. It might have been presented to the couple by Mr. J. W. Byden’s sister, Joan Olive Bryden (1887-1959) on the occasion of their wedding. The wedding was described in the July 5, 1905 edition of The Cumberland News and contains a list of various gifts, including a one from: “…Miss Bryden, cabinet of silver and pearl-handled fish knives and forks”. This high-quality set was added to the museum’s collection to aid in the presentation of the Dunsmuir-era at Craigdarroch.
History of Use
This fish set with matching servers was first owned and used by Dunsmuir descendant John William Bryden (1869-1953) and his wife Ellen Gertrude Tarbell (1882-1964) at their Oak Bay B.C. residence at 899 Transit Road and subsequently at their waterfront house in Royston, Vancouver Island (near Cumberland and Courtenay). It was then inherited by their son Gerald Robert Bryden (1913-1992) of Royston and then by his daughter in Campbell River, from whom it was acquired by The Castle Society.
Date
1903
Dimensions
18.5 cm x 2 cm x 0.75 cm
Material
Metal, silver, sterling; Shell, mother of pearl
Manufacturer
Yates Bros.
Technique
Repoussed
Country of Origin
England