chest of drawers
chest of drawers
chest of drawers

chest of drawers

Object

Accession Number
986.004.a-f
Description
This is a Canadian or American black walnut chest of drawers made circa 1875. There are four drawers, with the top door designed to look like two small drawers. Each drawer has applied burled-walnut panels and there are similar panels applied to the tall thin corners of the carcass. The hand-carved handles take the form of leaves. There are four brass casters. On the back of the chest, a paper label is nailed, bearing the name of the maker Weiler Bros., and the handwritten name, "Dunsmuir".
Narrative
This chest of drawers was probably once part of a suite of bedroom furniture comprised of a matching bed, a dressing table, a commode, a washstand and chest of drawers. 
History of Use
The seller of the chest of drawers to The Castle Society acquired it from Agnes Dean Cameron, a well-known school teacher in Victoria.

The label on the back of the chest confirms that it was once owned by a person named Dunsmuir. It is likely, but not certain, that the chest's first owner was Robert or James Dunsmuir.  It was made circa 1875, which means that it could have been used by Robert and Joan Dunsmuir at Ardoon in Nanaimo, Fairview in Victoria, and at Craigdarroch Castle. Alternatively, it could  have been used by James and Laura Dunsmuir at Wellington, at their Departure Bay house, at Burleith, and finally at Hatley Park. 
Date
circa 1875
Dimensions
103 cm x 47 cm x 85.5 cm
Material
Wood, walnut
Manufacturer
Weiler Brothers
Technique
Sawn; Varnished; Carved
School/Style
Renaissance Revival
Inscription
Printed in black ink on the paper nailed to the back: FROM JOHN WEILER, MANUFACTURER OF FURNITURE, IMPORTERS OF CROCKERY, GLASSWARE & HOUSE FURNISHING GOODS OF EVERY DESCRIPTION. Fell's Block, Fort St., Victoria.

Handwritten in pencil on the label, above the printed portion: Dunsmuir

 
Country of Origin
undetermined

Related person/business/organization
Weiler Brothers (manufacturer)