chest of drawers
chest of drawers
chest of drawers
chest of drawers
chest of drawers
chest of drawers
chest of drawers
chest of drawers
chest of drawers
chest of drawers
chest of drawers
chest of drawers

chest of drawers

Object

Accession Number
2003.002a-l
Description
A superior-grade circa 1876 American black walnut side-lock chest of drawers labeled Goodwin & Co. of San Francisco, the top with a crested back from which extends on both sides of it a turned wooden candle holder, the nine drawers with applied raised burled walnut panels, seven of the drawers with turned ebony drop handles falling from repouseed and embossed brass collars.
Narrative
This circa 1876 American side-lock chest of drawers was acquired by a former owner at a Victoria auction or demolition sale in the late 1950's and has probably been in Victoria since the 1870's. It may have been manufactured in Grand Rapids, Chicago, Philadelphia or another eastern city. It was wholesaled or retailed by Goodwin & Co. of San Francisco, and that firm might also have manufactured it.  

The piece is of higher than average quality and was probably first owned by an affluent Victoria family. Until the Canadian Pacific Railway completed their trans-Canada line to Vancouver in 1885, most furniture sold in Victoria came through San Francisco, Portland, or Tacoma. The Dunsmuir family traveled to San Francisco regularly, and while it can not be proven that they owned this piece, they had furniture like it. It may have once been in Mt. Adelaide, the home of Mary Croft.   

References in the San Francisco telephone directories indicate Goodwin & Co. began in 1862 as a partnership between James P. Goodwin and Philip B. Holmes. The company was initially located at 528 Washington. By 1869, Goodwin & Co. had moved to 322/334 Pine Street. In 1873, the partnership included James P. Goodwin, George W. Britton and George B. May, and was listed at 312 Pine Street. It was listed at this address until 1877 then it was listed at 319 Pine. Goodwin & Co.'s last listing was in 1878.
History of Use
At the time of its acquisition by The Castle Society, this chest of drawers was located in the house known alternatively as Higgins Hall, Regent's Park House, and Amethyst Inn Bed & Breakfast. The house is at 1501 Fort Street, Victoria, B.C. and was built for David and Mary Higgins. Carl Rudolph bought the house in 1963 and began to create his own private house museum there. He began installing his collection of Victorian-era furnishings, woodwork, and stained glass windows which he acquired at auctions and demolition sales at old Victoria city houses, including Mt. Adelaide and Ashnola (also known as "Sissinghurst"). Mr. Rudolph, an early member and supporter of The Castle Society, died in 1997, and the chest of drawers remained on-site and was purchased along with the house. The new owners, operators of Amethyst Inn Bed & Breakfast, sold the chest to The Castle Society in 2003.
Date
circa 1876
Dimensions
175.3 cm x 53.4 cm x 50 cm
Material
Wood, fir; Wood, walnut; Metal, brass; Wood, ebony
Technique
Flat sawn; Milled; Sawn; Veneered; French polished; Embossed; Repoussed; Turned
School/Style
Renaissance Revival
Inscription
On the side of a drawer stamped in blue ink: Goodwin & Co. Importers and Manf'rs of Furniture and Bedding 312 PINE Street, S.F. 
Country of Origin
United States of America

Related person/business/organization
Goodwin & Co. Importers and Manufacturers of Furniture and Bedding (manufacturer)